Helping Your Child Prepare for the Future
Discovery Academy provides the opportunity for its students to earn college credits concurrently with the high school credits earned as a part of the Discovery Academy academic program. During a student’s enrollment at Discovery Academy the school offers students the opportunity to earn college credits through the extension courses offered by Brigham Young University and Utah Valley University. In the event a student is able to take advantage of this opportunity, the student can earn both high school and college credits.
Qualifications and Procedures
Students who are interest in this opportunity must complete the following requirements:
- The student must attend either an 11th or 12th grade. Also, he or she must have completed the credit requirements for 9th and 10th grades.
- Parents must give their permission for students to apply to a college extension course. The Discovery Academy Guidance Counselor will assist with the application.
- The student’s parents will pay the enrollment fees directly. The parents will also submit the application to the college or university.
- The student will work on the college courses under the guidance and with the help of his/her Discovery Academy teachers, as appropriate. The college coursework will be integrated into the Discovery Academy curriculum, in order to fully meet graduation requirements.
- Credit earned through successful completion of the college coursework will be applied as both high school and college credit. The university through which the coursework is taken will maintain the student’s college transcript; the credits earned will be added to the student’s Discovery Academy high school transcript.
- College credit earned in core courses, i.e. language arts, math, science, social studies will be considered as fulfillment of appropriate graduation requirements for the purposes and in accordance with the minimum grade standard (80%) of Discovery Academy.
- College coursework not completed by the time the student leaves Discovery Academy may be completed at home within the time constraints set by the university. When the coursework is completed, the credit(s) will be added to the Discovery Academy transcript upon receipt by the Registrar)
For more information about the Discovery Academy academic program, fill out our Assessment or contact our admissions department at 855-645-0484.