Helping Your Child Prepare for the Future
Discovery Academy provides the opportunity for its students to earn college credits concurrently with the high school credits earned as a part of the Discovery Academy academic program. During a student’s enrollment at Discovery Academy the school offers students the opportunity to earn college credits through the extension courses offered by Brigham Young University and Utah Valley University. In the event a student is able to take advantage of this opportunity, the student can earn both high school and college credits.
Qualifications and Procedures – In order for a student to take advantage of this opportunity, the following are required:
- The student must be either an 11th or 12th grader having fully completed the credit requirements for 9th and 10th grades.
- Application for college extension courses will be made under the direction of a Discovery Academy Guidance Counselor with parent permission.
- The student’s parent(s) will make application to the college/university for the courses desired, and the enrollment fees will be paid directly by the parent(s).
- The student will work on the college courses under the guidance and with the help of his/her Discovery Academy teachers, as appropriate. The student will integrate the college coursework with the Discovery Academy curriculum in which he/she is also enrolled in order to fully meet graduation requirements.
- Credit earned through successful completion of the college coursework will be applied as both high school and college credit. The university through which the coursework is taken will maintain the student’s college transcript; the credits earned will be added to the student’s Discovery Academy high school transcript.
- College credit earned in core courses, i.e. language arts, math, science, social studies will be considered as fulfillment of appropriate graduation requirements for the purposes and in accordance with the minimum grade standard (80%) of Discovery Academy.
- College coursework not completed by the time the student leaves Discovery Academy may be completed at home within the time constraints set by the university. When the coursework is completed, the credit(s) will be added to the Discovery Academy transcript upon receipt by the Registrar)
For more information about the Discovery Academy academic program, fill out our Assessment or contact our admissions department at (801) 701-3711.